When a friend or classmate offers you something, it can be hard to say no. Prep yourself ahead of time by coming up with one liners you can use in any situation.
- I can’t stay; I’ve got to help my dad with something.
- That stuff makes me feel sick.
- It is against my faith.
- No way. I think you just want me to get in trouble.
- Thanks, but I already have a drink.
- I hate the taste.
- No. I am serious about my sports and that affects my performance.
- Go ahead if you want to – I just don’t want to.
- I’ve seen people in my family go overboard, so I won’t ever touch it.
You can also just be honest with your friends:
- I’m not into that.
- My dad would kill me if he found out.
- I don’t have time for smoking / alcohol.
- I’d be suspended from the team / group.
- Forget it. There’s no way I’m going to do that!
- I’ve got more to do with my life.
Be confident in your answer. Many people who experiment with drugs and smoking do so to feel accepted or popular. By giving a firm “no”, you may influence your friends in a good way.
People tend to follow a strong leader among them, and sometimes all it takes is a positive person that says no to drugs to keep the whole group away from drinking or smoking.