What you eat can make a BIG difference in how you feel (and grow). Use these top tips to get the best start on eating well.
- Begin your day by eating a wholesome breakfast with something like porridge or eggs - you need to feed your brain cells.
- Fruit and vegetables are healthy, so make sure you eat several servings every day.
- Avoid greasy, fried or unhealthy fast foods or junk foods. It’s nice about once a week as a treat if you are craving it, but it should never be part of your daily food.
- Choose ‘real foods’ over processed foods. Things like bread and pasta have all been refined or changed. If there’s a choice, opt for food like potatoes, eggs, rice, corn, fruit or vegetables that doesn’t come out of a box or a wrapper.
- Avoid fizzy drinks or juices they are loaded with unhealthy sugar that can lead to weight gain.
- Limit how much tea or coffee you drink in a day.
- Avoid alcohol. It is unhealthy for you and leads to excess weight.
- Make sure you eat from all the different food groups - your body needs a mix of vegetables, fruit, proteins, good fats and carbohydrates.
- Eat all food in moderation. Overeating will lead to weight gain. Remember your stomach is the size of your fist, so meals should not be too large, or too small.
- Drink plenty of fresh, clean water.
If your family does not have good eating habits or a healthy diet, try to take control of your own food. Offer to cook, prepare your own lunches and snacks. That way you can manage your own weight and body.