Find Out How to Put it On, Get it Off - and Keep Yourself Safe from STIs and Pregnancy
Before you put on a condom
- Store condoms in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
- Check the expiry date on the condom.
- Do a pillow test - does the air stay in the package?
- Tear the condom package carefully to open - without using your teeth.
- If the condom looks damaged, discoloured, dried out or brittle, don’t use it.
To put a condom on
- With one hand, pinch the tip of the condom to leave room for the ejaculate.
- With the other hand, roll the condom to the base of the penis or object.
- Continue using this hand to smooth any air bubbles out of the condom.
After the action
- Hold the base of the condom as you pull out to avoid slippage.
- Use toilet paper to hold the condom during removal.
- Remove the condom and throw away in the trash, not the toilet.
- Pull out while the penis is still hard because once the penis begins to lose its erection, ejaculate can leak out or the condom can slip off. This is best to avoid pregnancy and/or STI transmission.
- If you continue to have an erection and you and your partner would like to keep going after you ejaculate, hold the rim of the condom against the base of your penis.